Saturday, August 13, 2016

Refining My Research Topic

Hello all:
For those of you who do not know me my name is Max Rosenberg and I am currently a Senior at BASIS Scottsdale taking AP Research. I came into the class with an idea of what area I wanted to pursue, but I did not know the specifics of where my project was headed. I also came into the class with a few goals for my AP Research experience. My first goal is to create a complete product, meaning that I want to have some conclusive and quantifiable findings from my research. MY second goal is to have fun and pursue something that I find extremely interesting. Finally, my third goal for my research is to produce something that has real world applications. For me, real world applications does not necessarily have to entail doing research for a company or creating a product that is ready for use, but rather it means that my research and findings can be read and applied in both an academic and professional setting.
As I mentioned earlier, I came into AP Research with a topic in mind for my research project: behavioral economics, specifically price anchors or branding. Since I already had a starting point, I started refining my topic by looking at behavioral economics papers. I read a paper on price anchoring and am currently reading a paper on branding. I have found in my reading so far that both price anchoring and branding have significant research databases for me to use. That is both a positive and a negative. The large database is good because it gives me a lot of material for my literature review and shows that price anchoring and branding are significant within the field of behavioral economics, but the large database may leave little room for me to do new research. However, in my reading thus far I have noticed a lapse in the data: nobody is researching the effects of price anchoring and branding on different age ranges. The gap in research may provide me with a very interesting question that is also relevant in both an academic and business setting. In the coming week, I plan to do more research and refine my question further, but right now, I think I have a good starting point for an interesting and fun year of AP Research. (391)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Max Rosenberg from BASIS Scottsdale thanks for the introduction i would've been lost without it!! anyway I think you’re already at a great starting point since you already know not only your research topic but you also even found a gap in the research even though there is a lot of research on your topic. I also really like your goal of producing something with real world applications because that’s something that a lot people didn’t really consider as one of their main goals but it is an important one. Even though you seem to know what you’re doing, I think you should still be open minded about what specifically you do in price anchoring because it is very early in the process. My question for you is what you think your research process will look like? like are you going to collect data? focus on more qualitative methods? are you planning on interning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max, I really appreciate that you have a clear goal and focus in your research. I think that the focus with which you've begun your research indicates a project that you care about and that will sustain your interest for the entirety of the year.

    I want you to start to get in the habit of explaining or defining things for people not necessarily in the field (e.g., price anchoring). This is a skill that you'll need when writing the paper, and considering that the blogs are substantially more informal than the research paper, you'll want to be sure you're talking to an even broader, more ignorant audience.

    ReplyDelete