Saturday, September 10, 2016

Epic Rap Battles of AP Research

Hello All:
Today, the task is to put two of our sources in conversation, so its time for EPIC RAP BATTLES OF AP RESEARCH. (I cannot write raps, so the speeches will be more in prose, but the general format of rap battle will stay)

Luke Clark VS. Bryan Gibson
Luke Clark: Yo my name is Luke Clark and for those of you who do not know me, I research psychology at UBC in Vancouver. I believe that people make impulsive decisions while gambling, especially when they think they are close to winning. For example, if a blackjack player draws a ten when they have 12, they might think "aw man that was close, I'm getting good at this." But they'd be wrong because the chance they drew a ten is the same as that of any other card in the deck. But still, most people do not think very clearly while gambling, which leads to extra betting and loss of money. I believe that irrational behavior results from gambling, and I can back that up with experimental facts.



Bryan Gibson: Hey my name is Bryan Gibson and most of you don't know me, but I'm a researcher at University of Utah in Salt Lake City. I believe that people bet more when they think they are close to winning. My boy Luke is right that people act irrationally when gambling. I can prove it with my experiment. I quickly flashed the winning images on a slot machine to players, who then proceeded to bet more without knowing why. They didn't know why, but I do. It is because, even though they did not consciously recognize that they were seeing the winning images for longer than other images, they picked up on them subconsciously and then acted on their "gut" or really their subconscious being primed to act that way. The players who saw the winning images bet more on the slots than those who did not, but when asked why, they could not say. So my homie Luke is right that people act irrationally when gambling and when they feel like they are going to win.


I hope you enjoyed my EPIC RAP BATTLE OF AP RESEARCH. But in all seriousness, Clark and Gibson largely agree that people behave irrationally during gambling. However, Gibson is much more specified in his focus. Clark focuses broadly on people's perception of closeness to winning and skill during gambling, finding that people will bet more and act irrationally if they think they are getting good at a game or are close to winning, even if the game is purely chance. While Gibson narrows in on slot machines and show how subliminal priming affects people's betting behavior. Gibson shows how some of the behavior Clark is seeing actually occurs. And Gibson addresses my specific topic of priming during gambling, while Clark does not. I know I said that you get to decide who is next, but I lied: I am going to decide. So next up is...
Harambe                                                               Kid
         VS. 

I think we all know who is going to win that one.
RIP Harambe. I will check back in next week, until then have a good one. (533)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Max! I applaud you for your concept of the rap battle, although the only rap battle parts of it were "Yo," "Hey," and "my boy"... Anyway, I agree with you when you say that Gibson deals with your topic, specifically. One thing that I was missing when reading your post was the gap that was brought up from your two sources conversing. Gibson seems to be filling the gap that Clark had, but I'm curious to see how you will further this conversation. How do you expect to contribute to the conversation more than Gibson did?

    Other than that, I really like how you have narrowed your topic from priming in general to priming when gambling. It sounds incredibly significant since people spend millions, if not billions, of dollars a year on gambling. Maybe look into a specific place, as that would narrow your scope.

    Nice Harambe v. kid match, btw. Harambe for the win!!!! (156)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snap -- the way you ended this post... was it too soon? Anyways, I really like your explanation of the two sources, and I appreciate how you start to put them in conversation after the "epic rap battle." (Also, having the pictures of the two guys really increases the funny factor of the rap battle).

    I'm just wondering: are Clark and Gibson really talking about the same thing? I feel like priming could be a completely separate issue from thinking one is getting good at gambling by coming close to winning. I agree that both could be seen as falling under the umbrella of how people make decisions while gambling, but I don't know if the two actually exist together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey max i like how you made this post interesting by using an sick rap battle, but i give it a B+ for lack of rhymes. i think the conversation you portrayed was definitely accurate; the two sources do agree, with Gibson being a little bit more specific. but i was wondering how these differences lead you to a gap in the research? do these sources help lead you to a gap, or would looking at sources that disagree a little bit more help you find that gap more easily? i really like the gambling aspect you brought in

    ReplyDelete