Saturday, February 11, 2017

Hustle

Hello All:

This week has been a very eventful one for my research. I began to conduct my experiment and had my first 27 participants come in on Wednesday and Friday. The experiment has been going extremely well and everyone has had fun and yielded good results. But it was not as simple as it sounds. On Tuesday at 2 pm I only had 6 participants signed up for my first day of research and maybe 5 more over the next few days of my study. The email to the BASIS Scottsdale parents hadn't gone out yet. I was well under my target of 10 people per group and I was freaking out. After the email was finally sent out on Tuesday, I found an error in the dates I put on the email; I said that the research was being conducted on the 14th instead of the 16th.


As the woes kept piling up and Mrs. Haag was about to kill me, I still needed to find a way to collect participants. Throughout the day I had been texting my friends to see if their parents could volunteer and I had gotten a few responses, but on Tuesday night I began to hustle and turned it into overdrive. I had my mom text all of her friends and I texted and emailed many of my friends and teachers to see who I could get to participate in my research. Though there were a lot of failed attempts, we managed to get 14 people to sign up to participate in my research on Wednesday. For one days notice, I think we did pretty well. We hustled like Giannis here and managed to get a great turnout for my first day of experimentation.


I managed to get 13 people to volunteer for Friday and it was another successful day of experimentation. I currently have 36 participants total and I ideally need 40, but the more the better. So I need to continue to gather participants in order to ensure a great research project. If anyone would like to volunteer or knows somebody who would feel free to sign up using the link at the bottom of the post.

I still have plenty to do this upcoming week. I need to figure out how to analyze all the data I am collecting as well as review the pitfalls of my literature review and methods. I think this week was a crucial week for my project; I conquered the challenges of the week and hopefully through experience I have learned the skills needed to conquer the challenges that lie ahead. Thanks for reading to the end of the post. Here is another vicious dunk. (451)



Link to the sign up sheet for my experiment:

5 comments:

  1. Hey Max!

    I am so proud of you for turning 6 participants into 36! I vividly remember you freaking out the weekend before, but your ability to work hard in order to gather your participants really proved to be successful. With the data being due in a week, along with the fact that your main concern at the bottom of your blog posts for the past two weeks has been your analysis of the results, I would say that it would be best to get on thAT. I think that it is best to maybe sit down with Mr. Peacher this week after (or before…idk) your meeting with Mrs. Haag in order to get the clearest picture in your head for your Results section. Based on how you have your data organized, you can come to a conclusion about how best to represent your data in graphs, charts, tables, etc. Have you figured out which one of these visual representations would be the most effective for your paper? I’m so glad that you were able to get a lot of participants, though! Keep up the great work!!

    (187)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Max!
    I'm so glad that you were able to find more participants... I know how much you were stressing, so it's great that it all ended up OK. I agree with Rema in the sense that I think you really need to start thinking about how you'll analyze your results. You're going to need to visually compare all of the different factors, so you'll definitely need some type of chart or graph. Definitely start with going over your lit review and your methods, though. You know exactly what needs to get done for that, so it'd be nice to get it out of the way. Breaking down your workload into smaller pieces will help you stay sane and get everything done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Max!
    Great job at getting so many participants to show up and participate in your project!!! It seems like you did an amazing job this week. You need to start forming a solid plan to analyze data right now. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to operate moving forward? You may wanted to meet with Peacher like Rema stated to make sure you know what you are doing when you start to analyze. You are in a really good position but you need to start breaking up what you need to do into smaller portions like Kimy stated and you will be on a great path!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Max -- I, too, am glad that I no longer want to "kill" you (your words, not mine) -- haha. These are the moments where boys become men, and I'm glad to say that you are now a man. Joking aside, it is impressive that you were able to get it all together to get the participants that you need. However, I do agree with you and everyone else, that I want to see how the data analysis is going to come together. How does the riskiness survey play into this? How will you measure the effect of one technique over the other?

    ReplyDelete