Friday, January 27, 2017

Just Keep Swimming

Hello All:

Only one more week until us Seniors our out of school! This is exciting news but it is also a little scary. In less than a week, we will be done with formal High School classes and will be cast out into the world on our own. As the end comes closer, I am still trying to figure out my plans for the third trimester and finalize my experiment dates. There is still so much to do and not a lot of time; it's got me feeling a little like this.


The last time I posted, I was still worried about scheduling the dates for the experiment and gathering participants. Since then, I have emailed Mr. Garvey and confirmed the availability of a room for my research. This upcoming week, I am going to meet with Mrs. Haag and finalize the dates based on what works best for us both. Once I have the dates finalized, then I can begin gathering participants.

This week, Kristiana, Ved, and I are also working on a draft of an email that will be sent out to the BASIS Scottsdale parents. The email will detail our research and ask for participants in our studies. Hopefully, in the next week, the email can be sent out and we can begin gathering participants. Before the email can be sent, all the dates must be finalized, so that is an important step for me to take soon. Overall, I feel pretty good about how my research implementation is going and I feel like I'm still on schedule for successful experimentation in February. I feel a little like baby Dory.


Along with beginning to implement our methods, we have been editing our lit reviews and methods sections over the past week. As I have gone through my methods with my critique group and Mrs. Haag, I have realized some of the pitfalls that I need to sure up. In my methods, I never included a section on data analysis and specifically how I will use the riskiness survey that participants take to qualify my results. I will have to use statistics to analyze the data, so I want to look into how to do that effectively before I conduct my research. I was thinking I could possibly talk to Mr. Peacher about this, since he is the statistics teacher. What do you guys think of this idea or do you have any ideas on how I could analyze the data well? I'm excited to see that the research is moving along, but I need to keep the attitude of taking it one step at a time and completing one challenge at a time. Just as Dory always says, "Just keep swimming." (455)


3 comments:

  1. Max,

    It seems like you've got a lot of things under control right now, and that's a really good thing. I also think it's great that you're planning ahead for a means of analyzing the riskiness data. First, however, are you sure that this needs to go into the methods? Because you intend on analyzing the results with it, it seems like this section should go in the results section. Either way, it's important to think about right now. Going on to your actual suggestion, the statistical method that will be used it ultimately depends on what you are trying to find out. I think you should first determine exactly what you want to receive from your riskiness data, and then consult with Mr. Peacher. That way, there's a much more clear focus for choosing a statistical method of analysis, and it's much easier to choose a specific method.

    Otherwise, you're definitely killing the research game. (157)

    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maxwell,

    It's great to hear that the only thing keeping you from implementing your methods now is the timing that is to be determined and confirmed by Mr. Garvey. I agree with Akash in asking if your section on data analysis should go with your methods section or should just be included in your data analysis. If it's more about the statistics and less about digging into the layers of things and categorizing things, I think you could very well just put it in the results section with a short explanation of the statistics behind the conclusion you reached from the data. I think you should definitely talk to Peacher about how you're going to analyze the data (I honestly don't have too much insight into this because I'm struggling to figure out how to analyze my data too).

    It seems like you're still on a great path, and you don't really have much holding you back at this point. Good on you, bro!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Max -- I'm obsessed with the Dory-themed post. I think that the biggest thing you need to focus on, as we discussed in our meeting today, would be for to secure the logistics of your project. I know we're waiting on Mr. Garvey to get back to you on the scheduling side of things, but you want to be sure that you have a dealer and all of the materials that you'll need in order to progress with your project.

    ReplyDelete