Friday, January 20, 2017

Where I'm At

Hello All:

This past week we extensively reviewed our methods sections in groups, providing feedback and helping each other to improve. As I finish up the revised methods section, I must look forward to implementing them. I have currently not started my research, since it is an experiment that must be done during the third trimester, but I will start taking steps to gather my sample and arrange the logistics soon.



Just like DJ Khaled does in all aspects of his life, in this blog post I will try and outline the way I am going to stay on schedule and the key🔑  steps I need to take to ensure timely and correct implementation of my research.

In order for my research to happen, I need approximately 40-60 participants, so I must take steps to gather participants. I have already contacted Ms. Jordison and she has agreed to send out an email to BASIS Scottsdale parents, so I need to draft an email or statement about what participating in my project entails, so she can review it and send it. I also need to discuss the specific dates of the research with Mrs. Haag, since I cannot ask parents to volunteer until they know the specific dates that they could choose from to come in and participate in the research. Hopefully within the next week, I will figure out the dates with Mrs. Haag and begin gathering participants for my research.

Once I begin gathering participants, I may not immediately get the response that I need. So depending on how many participants that I have, I may need to begin reaching out to people I know and possibly teachers to participate in the research. It is important to have a backup plan for gathering participants, but in order to implement it, I must have time to gather people. That is why I need to begin gathering participants soon, so I know what I have to do leading up to the date of the experiment. Preparedness is a major 🔑 . I must give myself time to have a contingency plan for participants because my research relies on adequate participation, but the number of participants that agree is not fully in my control.

That is my currently where I am at in my research and what I am planning on doing to stay on track. Hopefully I will get the ball rolling soon and I can start finding results. As DJ Khaled says, "they don't want [me] to win." So I gotta win. (422)


3 comments:

  1. Max -- I think an important step in this will be to ask Mr. Garvey what rooms are available for this on what days. As in, maybe ask if there are a couple of days that you can reserve the conference room, as there will be no classes going on in there. Once we have the location secured, I will mark the date(s) off and we can begin working on it. However, the location is the primary factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suh Max,

    I think your plan on finding the right day and time is really important and needs to be sorted out right away. If you plan to do the study on a weekend, you might get too few reponses, and if you do it on a weekday, you will definitely have to talk with other teachers if a student is missing a class or something. I think the best thing to do is to have the experiment during multiple lunch periods. At least that way you don't have to worry about kids missing classes. I also think you need to think about what Mrs. Haag said about negotiating room times with teachers. Ultimately, I think that you are going to have to be pretty flexible about the class that you are doing the experiment in because conditions are most likely going to change on the day you arrange the experiment. Because of this, I think you also really need to think about how to perform the experiment quickly, so that you can move rooms efficiently. Maybe practice the experiment with other people before the actual day.

    Overall, though, I think you're going to do great! (197)

    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maxwell! Since you pretty much have the rest of your methods solidified, I think you're correct in saying that your biggest challenge right now will be finding time and space to conduct your experiments. Akash said to maybe do the experiments during lunch time, but I don't necessarily think that's a good idea (assuming your participants aren't students) just because people are still working during that time. If you wanted to make it convenient for the parents, maybe you could do the experiment around pick-up times so that they already have the time set out in the day, whether it be before or after picking up their child.

    I definitely also think that you should set up a couple trial runs even with people from the research classes to see how much time it might take. Because you don't want them to take too long and then not have a room available anymore or something like that.

    Other than that, everything sounds great and I'm really excited for you!

    KK

    ReplyDelete