Sunday, April 16, 2017

Remembrance of Research Past

Hello All:

This will be my final blog post for the year. It has been a wonderful journey with many ups and downs over the past two years in Seminar and Research. I have gained many skills and fought through challenges. Even though during the process there were definitely times I was not happy with my choice, looking back on it from the end, it was definitely a worthwhile experience.

Me at the beginning of AP Seminar

At the beginning of Seminar, my writing skills were ok and my argumentation skills were pretty bad, so it was definitely a learning experience for me. I feel like I honed my craft very well over the course of the year and by my last paper, I truly had produced college-level work that I was proud of. The group projects also helped my collaboration skills a lot, since we all had to merge our voices into one coherent paper. I remember during our first group presentation, Kristiana blanked on one of her slides and I just stepped right in to give her some time to get her bearings back. This helped us both learn teamwork as well as how to handle a difficult situation on the fly. It was not always easy; the only time I ever pulled an all-nighter in high school was for Seminar. But afterwards I learned how to better manage my time and balance a heavy workload.



Then came Research...

The whole research process was definitely a learning experience. At the start of research, I was very sure that I wanted to do price anchoring and only that area of behavioral economics would yield a good research project. Pretty soon after, I began reading sources on behavioral influences and social behavior and time pressure... I shifted my focus from price anchoring to gambling and behavioral effects, which actually turned out to be a more interesting area of research for me. Writing a coherent literature review was a struggle at times, especially since the premise of my lit review was that the three effects are currently not comparable. So trying to tie them together was a struggle at first.

Once I got my methods, getting participants was the biggest struggle of the whole research process. I had like 7 participants 2 days before the study, so I just emailed everyone I knew and managed to get 40 people to come.

My critiques on research would be that towards the end of the class, the editing of other people's papers got a little tedious and became a lot of work. So much to the point that I did not have as much time to edit my own paper because I was spending so long on other people's. I think that reducing that to maybe two per week could improve the class. Overall, I am glad that I did AP Research because I feel like it will give me a leg up in college when applying for research positions and it will also help me perform and know what I am doing once I get there.

The two year journey has been crazy. I am now officially retired from AP Research (after blog comments of course)! (527)


4 comments:

  1. Max -- congrats on being done with AP Capstone. I love the picture of you in the little raincoat -- it's adorable. I am really proud of the work that you did, and I am sorry there are times you were unhappy with your decision to take the class. I understand that reading others' work could be cumbersome, so I can definitely consider lightening the load, but I also think that getting that feedback was really crucial for many people.

    All in all, it was fun and rewarding working with you. I wish you all the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max! I think that research really helped us all. I mean at the beginning of junior year I thought I could prove that cocaine indicated racism (which was pretty wild). I think we've all grown so much, and you definitely made a pretty bomb research project! Research was a wild ride, but it was definitely worth it at the end. :) it was great !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maxwell, its been so fun seeing you grow up from the weird little kids that kept leaving and coming back to school in 3rd grade to your present confident self. I loved watching your presentation adn your graphics were amazing. I wish you the best in college :) Research was hard yet rewarding and I hope it helps you in college

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAXWELL ROSENBERG! We did it!!!! I completely agree with the teamwork and the dedication that was required if us in AP SEMINAR and the hard work and passion that we had to produce in AP Research. You did an amazing job this year and it was an absolute pleasure to help you conduct your research method. Love you bro. I cannot wait to see what you do at DUKE as a BLUE DEVIL!! Love you man and it's been amazing going through it all and finishing high school with you!

    Thanks,

    Ved Narayan

    ReplyDelete