Sunday, April 9, 2017

The Final Sprint

Hello All:

This is my second to last blog post of the year and my final one before the presentation this Friday. As research nears to an end, there is still so much work to do to make sure we end senior year with a bang and put forth our best foot on presentation day. Though my first presentation was definitely rough, I got some good feedback and am ready to fix it and make the final presentation spectacular.



My main issue with the presentation was lack of urgency and pace, I kind of meandered through the presentation and approached it with a very chill attitude. I think that comes partially from my personality and partially from not knowing my script as well as I will during the actual presentation. Since it took me a moment to remember what I was supposed to say, it may have come off as slow-paced and relaxed. I also tended to repeat myself and attempt to explain things in various ways, so the presentation got a bit circular. I think this is also largely caused by me not knowing my script as well as I should. This can be easily cleared up by my next practice presentation and I will be perfectly fast, clear, and linear during my actual presentation.

In terms of my slides, they started out a little disengaging and I have introduced some animations to help engage my audience more in my slides but I definitely still have some things to fix before my next practice. I have used fading in to allow me to emphasize concepts that I discuss aloud but I need to get more smooth with bringing them in at the right time. One concept that has really worked for me is showing a blackjack table and cards and using those to explain my procedure and the different changes. This has seemed to use a much more visual medium to engage my audience in what I am saying, rather than just showing the words I am saying on the slides. I have tried to expand this concept to the rest of my presentation and use diagrams to illustrate my points and make the audience more engaged with what I am saying.

Hopefully, with more practice and these changes to my slides I will be able to have an engaging and exciting presentation that truly reflects the hard work I have put into my project. As we come down the final stretch, we must sprint to the finish and give a great presentation and it will all be worth it. (431)

4 comments:

  1. Max!!!! I'm glad to see that you are well on your way to making the sprint down the final stretch of AP Research. Nonetheless, I agree that having a super relaxed attitude could make you seem a bit apathetic towards your project; however, I also don't that you should talk super fast since it could confuse your audience or make you seem too nervous. A good balance is key. As for the presentation itself, I think that you have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done but I would strongly emphasize on the circular issue since that could severely lose some of your audience. Be direct and to the point with your speech and slides to get the right points across and make the right conclusions. Other than that, keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey max!!! you are definitely right that it is important to visually show what you're saying instead of using text. I had some problems with that and changing text to pictures and graphics really helped. It's also important that you know your script better, but not to the point where you sound really scripted. But knowing the order of what you're saying and what you have to say for each slide will really help you not sound super slow.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay final stretch!!! I got to sit in on basically the entirety of your presentation and critique and I think the major problem with your slides was just them being bland and basic without any animations. The blackjack table and cards slide was BEAUTIFUL and by making a couple more of your slides like that it will really amp it up. Additionally, as you stated animations will really help make your presentation more engaging and easier to follow. The animations and adding in more slides will help you stay more on track and not be slow paced. Also, be sure to not forget about the questions Haag is going to ask at the end of the presentation. Good luck on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max -- I've definitely seen vast improvements in each iteration of your presentation. The slides have become much more engaging and sophisticated, and I think your presentation has also become more urgent in its delivery. However, I think the parts that you added in were a bit on the clunky side, so you need to be sure that each element is equally rehearsed and smooth. I look forward to seeing the final presentation -- I know you're going to kill it!

    ReplyDelete